05/15/09 Webpage cleaned up
01/21/07 Release archive update, no changes to the patch itself
10/29/06 Update, bug fixed, script revised, final (?) release
01/14/06 Update, checksum problem fixed
01/08/06 Update, compatability with hacked version. No need to download unless you are having problems.
12/03/05 Update, fixes Gens compatibility problem.
11/24/05 First release!
M.I.J.E.T. Home


King Colossus English Translation Patch
by M.I.J.E.T.

King Colossus is a Mega Drive game made by Sega that was never released outside of Japan.
Some people compare it to Zelda, but I find it to be closer in style to Seiken Densetsu. It's got some truly impressive programming and has a great plot. However, it can be quite frustrating at times, although ultimately the difficulty level is rather easy. The music is excellent and the director did a fine job overall.


Almost one year after its initial release, we have what may be the final version of the patch, which has now been tested on a real Genesis.


This is a very high quality piece of work, both in the hacking and translation departments. It may also be the first dual language (Jap/Eng) fan translation of a video game; the original Japanese script is intact and can be accessed by setting the country code to Japan, instead of USA (when using an emulator). That aspect was implemented mostly just for fun, but it does improve upon the original Japanese version in some respects (such as longer names and bug fixes).


King Colossus Jap-Eng Translation.zip (includes IPS file and the readme)
MIJETpatch.zip (you can use this to apply all MIJET patches, but make sure that you download the IPS file(s) too!)

King_Colossus - Family Friendly.zip
Someone who I know personally wanted me to make this, so I figured it might be useful for other people as well. You might want to use it in case there are kids or sensitive individuals (perhaps even yourself) around. It's almost identical, just with the mild language removed, comparable to what one would have typically seen in games from this time period.


Here are some before and after screen shots. Not all of the changes are included. In particular, images of many of the various submenus in the pause screen have been omitted.

The JPEG compression makes some of the text look a bit blurry, but obviously it doesn't appear that way in the real game (unless you're playing it on a real Genesis, heh)

Lower-case letters were not originally an option... ...neither were 8 byte names and "VU" ^_^
The original would pad names to always be 4 characters   This version permits names from one to eight characters
Same picture as before... ...but this one demonstrates the dual-language feature.
Originally, all rankings were just a single-digit number Now an appropriate suffix is added
There are two endings, hence two backgrounds Fixing some of the credits required new tiles (v. width font)